Tamil Nadu courts order release of 61 Sri Lankan fishermen
Rameswaram: Two courts in Tamil Nadu have ordered the release of 61 Sri Lankan fishermen arrested between July and November last year.
A local court on Friday night ordered the release of two fishermen from Neergolumbu, arrested off this coastal town on July 27, 2013 and lodged in Central Prison at Puzhal in Chennai and to hand them over to Indian Coast Guard (ICG), `Q` branch Inspector Kennedy said.
He said a court in Tuticorin last night ordered the release of 59 fishermen from Ambarai, Trincomalee and Neergolumbu, arrested between September 17 and November 8, all of whom are also lodged in the Central Prison in Chennai.
While five were held on September 17, another 26 were arrested in October 10, 24 on October 31 and four on November 8.
Kennedy said all the fishermen would be taken from Chennai and handed over to the ICG either today or tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital