Tamil Nadu cracker factory explosion kills nine people
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Kumbakonam: At least nine people died and up to five suffered burns on Friday after a fire broke out at a cracker factory in Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu.
According to reports, the workers were inside the factory when the fire started after the crackers exploded suddenly. The fire has been doused now and those who were injured have been rushed to nearby hospital, police said.
It is yet to be ascertained what was the cause of the fire.
Earlier this year, 54 persons were charred to death and 50 others injured when a devastating blaze swept through a cracker factory complex at nearby Mudhalipatti in Tamil Nadu.
It was one of the worst fire tragedies in the state. The witnesses had said that the explosions could be heard across more than two square km from the factory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead