Tamil Nadu fishermen attacked
Rameswaram: Some fishermen, who had put to sea from here in 400 boats, were injured after personnel of Sri Lankan Navy allegedly hurled stones at them between
Arichalmunai and Katchativu on Thursday, officials said.
The Lankan Navy personnel also fired in the air several times to scare away the fishermen, fisheries department officials said, adding five fishermen suffered injuries in
the head while some others received internal injuries and they had been treated at private hospitals.
The navy man also surrounded the boats of the fisherman and one a boat was damaged in the stone pelting.
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had advised fishermen against straying into Sri Lankan waters, especially in those areas designated as "sensitive" by Lankan government.
He had informed the Rajya Sabha yesterday that the number of firing incidents on fishermen in the waters between India and Sri Lanka had come down significantly since the October 2008 bilateral understanding between the countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead