Tamil Nadu fishermen attacked
Rameswaram: Some fishermen, who had put to sea from here in 400 boats, were injured after personnel of Sri Lankan Navy allegedly hurled stones at them between
Arichalmunai and Katchativu on Thursday, officials said.
The Lankan Navy personnel also fired in the air several times to scare away the fishermen, fisheries department officials said, adding five fishermen suffered injuries in
the head while some others received internal injuries and they had been treated at private hospitals.
The navy man also surrounded the boats of the fisherman and one a boat was damaged in the stone pelting.
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had advised fishermen against straying into Sri Lankan waters, especially in those areas designated as "sensitive" by Lankan government.
He had informed the Rajya Sabha yesterday that the number of firing incidents on fishermen in the waters between India and Sri Lanka had come down significantly since the October 2008 bilateral understanding between the countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands