Tamil Nadu fishermen attacked
Rameswaram: Some fishermen, who had put to sea from here in 400 boats, were injured after personnel of Sri Lankan Navy allegedly hurled stones at them between
Arichalmunai and Katchativu on Thursday, officials said.
The Lankan Navy personnel also fired in the air several times to scare away the fishermen, fisheries department officials said, adding five fishermen suffered injuries in
the head while some others received internal injuries and they had been treated at private hospitals.
The navy man also surrounded the boats of the fisherman and one a boat was damaged in the stone pelting.
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna had advised fishermen against straying into Sri Lankan waters, especially in those areas designated as "sensitive" by Lankan government.
He had informed the Rajya Sabha yesterday that the number of firing incidents on fishermen in the waters between India and Sri Lanka had come down significantly since the October 2008 bilateral understanding between the countries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan