Tamil Nadu fishermen attacked
Rameswaram: In yet another incident, Sri Lankan Navalmen on Sunday allegedly attacked some fishermen from this island and prevented them from fishing near the International Maritime Boundary line, fishing officials said.
The Lankan personnel asked them to stop fishing and go back at gun point, officials said. They also snatched their GPS equipment and fishing nets.
About 650 boats had put to sea today and many returned without fishing, officials said.
Sri Lankan Navy had detained 40 Indian fishermen on December 3 off Nagapattinam and Karaikal coasts, prompting Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to write to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, seeking his intervention to urge Colombo to immediately release them. They were subsequently released.
Jayalalithaa had said such "harassment" had become a regular occurrence and that the Lankan Navy`s action would only escalate the tensions between the two countries and cause unrest and anxiety among the fishermen community.
On December 4, Sri Lankan Navy allegedly damaged some nets of fishermen fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits while eight Tamil Nadu fishermen were injured five days later when they were attacked near Talaimannar.
In yet another attack, 272 fishermen who put to sea from here in 68 boats were intercepted near Katchatheevu and their fishing nets cuts on December 12.
Meanwhile, a fishing boat from Mandapam near here got stranded with four fishermen at Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, police said today.
Police said coast guard`s help has been sought to rescue them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!