Tamil Nadu fishermen attacked
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan Navalmen on Sunday allegedly attacked some fishermen from this island and prevented them from fishing near the International Maritime Boundary line, fishing officials said.
The Lankan personnel asked them to stop fishing and go back at gun point, officials said. They also snatched their GPS equipment and fishing nets.
About 650 boats had put to sea today and many returned without fishing, officials said.
Sri Lankan Navy had detained 40 Indian fishermen on December 3 off Nagapattinam and Karaikal coasts, prompting Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to write to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, seeking his intervention in the matter. They were subsequently released.
Jayalalithaa had said such "harassment" had become a regular occurrence and that the Lankan Navy`s action would only escalate the tensions between the two countries and cause unrest and anxiety among the fishermen community.
On December 4, Sri Lankan Navy allegedly damaged some nets of fishermen fishing near Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits while eight Tamil Nadu fishermen were injured five days later when they were attacked near Talaimannar.
In yet another attack, 272 fishermen who put to sea from here in 68 boats were intercepted near Katchatheevu and their fishing nets cuts on December 12.
Meanwhile, a fishing boat from Mandapam near here got stranded with four fishermen at Katchatheevu, an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974, police said today.
Police said coast guard`s help has been sought to rescue them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi