Tamil Nadu fishermen delegation meets PM
New Delhi: Expressing concern that the fishing community is facing a serious threat from Sri Lankan Navy, a delegation of fishermen from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and told him prevail upon the neighbouring country to release Indian fishermen from Lankan jails.
In a memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister, the delegation said 227 fishermen and 77 boats were detained by the Sri Lankan navy in the last three months. The family members of the arrested persons are suffering for want of their daily bread winner, it added.
The Prime Minister should prevail upon Sri Lankan government for the immediate release of the fishermen and their property without any delay, the delegation sought.
According to DMK Parliamentary Party Leader T R Baalu, who led the delegation, the Prime Minister had told them that he has directed the External Affairs Minister and National Security Advisor to look into the issue.
"Besides, we also raised the issue of convening a meeting between fishermen of India and Sri Lanka to resolve issues over fishing", Baalu added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- After a decade in international cricket, patient Liam Plunkett proud of 50-wicket landmark
- Watch: ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa 2016’ RD Burman special- Asha Bhosle gets nostalgic
- It'll be cool to have 'Charlie's Angels' in India: Anushka Sharma
- Punjab Health Minister says,"Only 2% drug addicts in 10 districts of state"
- CBSE to conduct Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET) on Sept 18