Tamil Nadu fishermen delegation meets PM
New Delhi: Expressing concern that the fishing community is facing a serious threat from Sri Lankan Navy, a delegation of fishermen from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and told him prevail upon the neighbouring country to release Indian fishermen from Lankan jails.
In a memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister, the delegation said 227 fishermen and 77 boats were detained by the Sri Lankan navy in the last three months. The family members of the arrested persons are suffering for want of their daily bread winner, it added.
The Prime Minister should prevail upon Sri Lankan government for the immediate release of the fishermen and their property without any delay, the delegation sought.
According to DMK Parliamentary Party Leader T R Baalu, who led the delegation, the Prime Minister had told them that he has directed the External Affairs Minister and National Security Advisor to look into the issue.
"Besides, we also raised the issue of convening a meeting between fishermen of India and Sri Lanka to resolve issues over fishing", Baalu added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states
- Subhash Chandra steps down as chairman of Zee Media