Tamil Nadu fishermen resort to rail blockade at Nagapattinam
Nagapattinam: Hundreds of fishermen, including a large number of women on Friday courted arrest here as they resorted to rail blockade protesting against attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy.
Police said they were taken into custody when they thronged Nagapattinam railway station and attempted to block the Ernakulam Express. Similarly, at Sirkazhi Railway Station, fishermen attempted to block trains and courted arrest.
The fishermen panchayat leaders of Nagapattinam district have announced that the agitation will be intensified in the coming days. They sought Union Government`s intervention to stop the attacks as it was posing a grave threat to their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof