Tamil Nadu fishermen resort to rail blockade at Nagapattinam
Nagapattinam: Hundreds of fishermen, including a large number of women on Friday courted arrest here as they resorted to rail blockade protesting against attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy.
Police said they were taken into custody when they thronged Nagapattinam railway station and attempted to block the Ernakulam Express. Similarly, at Sirkazhi Railway Station, fishermen attempted to block trains and courted arrest.
The fishermen panchayat leaders of Nagapattinam district have announced that the agitation will be intensified in the coming days. They sought Union Government`s intervention to stop the attacks as it was posing a grave threat to their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes