Tamil Nadu fishermen resort to rail blockade at Nagapattinam
Nagapattinam: Hundreds of fishermen, including a large number of women on Friday courted arrest here as they resorted to rail blockade protesting against attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy.
Police said they were taken into custody when they thronged Nagapattinam railway station and attempted to block the Ernakulam Express. Similarly, at Sirkazhi Railway Station, fishermen attempted to block trains and courted arrest.
The fishermen panchayat leaders of Nagapattinam district have announced that the agitation will be intensified in the coming days. They sought Union Government`s intervention to stop the attacks as it was posing a grave threat to their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days