Tamil Nadu fishermen resort to rail blockade at Nagapattinam
Nagapattinam: Hundreds of fishermen, including a large number of women on Friday courted arrest here as they resorted to rail blockade protesting against attacks on Indian fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy.
Police said they were taken into custody when they thronged Nagapattinam railway station and attempted to block the Ernakulam Express. Similarly, at Sirkazhi Railway Station, fishermen attempted to block trains and courted arrest.
The fishermen panchayat leaders of Nagapattinam district have announced that the agitation will be intensified in the coming days. They sought Union Government`s intervention to stop the attacks as it was posing a grave threat to their livelihood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions