Tamil Nadu govt threatens to sue Stalin
Chennai: Slamming DMK leader MK Stalin for indulging in "mudslinging" by levelling land grabbing charges against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, AIADMK government on Sunday termed his action as an attempt to divert attention from criminal charges facing him and threatened to initiate defamation proceedings.
The allegations made by Stalin against Jayalalithaa were "nothing" but "meaningless fulminations" to divert the attention of the people from the land grabbing case against him, state Law Minister M Paranjothi said in a statement here.
He said since DMK leader has made the allegations without an "iota of truth and substance", he is liable to be prosecuted for defaming my leader (Jayalalithaa) and such action would follow in due course".
A day after Chennai police registered a land grabbing case against him, his son Udhayanidhi and four others, Stalin on Friday submitted a petition to the state DGP accusing Jayalalithaa of usurping lands in Kodanadu in Nilgiris District and Siruthavur near here and sought registration of FIRs against her.
"Stalin has indulged in mudslinging by saying that our leader (Jayalalithaa) has grabbed land in Kodanad including the public pathway which is a total mis-statement of facts", he said.
On Stalin`s charge that Jayalalithaa had also grabbed land in Siruthavur village near here, the Minister said the KP Sivasubramaniam Commission of Inquiry appointed by (then Chief Minister) M Karunanidhi had "categorically stated that there
was not even any complaint against the AIADMK leader.
Stalin has again raised this `false charge` only to `cheat the public and divert their attention from the land grabbing charges he is now facing,` Paranjothi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days