Tamil Nadu govt threatens to sue Stalin
Chennai: Slamming DMK leader MK Stalin for indulging in "mudslinging" by levelling land grabbing charges against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, AIADMK government on Sunday termed his action as an attempt to divert attention from criminal charges facing him and threatened to initiate defamation proceedings.
The allegations made by Stalin against Jayalalithaa were "nothing" but "meaningless fulminations" to divert the attention of the people from the land grabbing case against him, state Law Minister M Paranjothi said in a statement here.
He said since DMK leader has made the allegations without an "iota of truth and substance", he is liable to be prosecuted for defaming my leader (Jayalalithaa) and such action would follow in due course".
A day after Chennai police registered a land grabbing case against him, his son Udhayanidhi and four others, Stalin on Friday submitted a petition to the state DGP accusing Jayalalithaa of usurping lands in Kodanadu in Nilgiris District and Siruthavur near here and sought registration of FIRs against her.
"Stalin has indulged in mudslinging by saying that our leader (Jayalalithaa) has grabbed land in Kodanad including the public pathway which is a total mis-statement of facts", he said.
On Stalin`s charge that Jayalalithaa had also grabbed land in Siruthavur village near here, the Minister said the KP Sivasubramaniam Commission of Inquiry appointed by (then Chief Minister) M Karunanidhi had "categorically stated that there
was not even any complaint against the AIADMK leader.
Stalin has again raised this `false charge` only to `cheat the public and divert their attention from the land grabbing charges he is now facing,` Paranjothi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees