Tamil Nadu govt threatens to sue Stalin
Chennai: Slamming DMK leader MK Stalin for indulging in "mudslinging" by levelling land grabbing charges against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, AIADMK government on Sunday termed his action as an attempt to divert attention from criminal charges facing him and threatened to initiate defamation proceedings.
The allegations made by Stalin against Jayalalithaa were "nothing" but "meaningless fulminations" to divert the attention of the people from the land grabbing case against him, state Law Minister M Paranjothi said in a statement here.
He said since DMK leader has made the allegations without an "iota of truth and substance", he is liable to be prosecuted for defaming my leader (Jayalalithaa) and such action would follow in due course".
A day after Chennai police registered a land grabbing case against him, his son Udhayanidhi and four others, Stalin on Friday submitted a petition to the state DGP accusing Jayalalithaa of usurping lands in Kodanadu in Nilgiris District and Siruthavur near here and sought registration of FIRs against her.
"Stalin has indulged in mudslinging by saying that our leader (Jayalalithaa) has grabbed land in Kodanad including the public pathway which is a total mis-statement of facts", he said.
On Stalin`s charge that Jayalalithaa had also grabbed land in Siruthavur village near here, the Minister said the KP Sivasubramaniam Commission of Inquiry appointed by (then Chief Minister) M Karunanidhi had "categorically stated that there
was not even any complaint against the AIADMK leader.
Stalin has again raised this `false charge` only to `cheat the public and divert their attention from the land grabbing charges he is now facing,` Paranjothi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!
- Pakistan to host West Indies for pink ball Test in UAE