Tamil Nadu govt to enact its own Stamp Act
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government today proposed to enact its own Stamp Act, seeking to join a list of select states in this regard.
The Tamil Nadu Stamp Bill, 2013 was moved in the state Assembly by Commercial Taxes and Registration Minister BV Ramanaa, a day after he announced that the government will enact its own Stamp Act.
With the law relating to stamps in the state contained in the Indian Stamps Act, 1899 (Central Act II of 1889), amendments to the Act have to be referred for consideration of the President under Article 254 (2) of the Constitution, he said.
Such reference to President had to be made "since it is an existing law with respect to one of the matter enumerated in the Concurrent List in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution," Ramanaa said.
"Amendments to the said Central Act proposed in the state could not, therefore, be brought into force expeditiously. To facilitate the process of bringing into force the amendments proposed in the State, and to regulate the procedure relating to the levy of stamp duty by the state government, the Government have decided to enact a separate law relating to stamps in the state," he added.
States such as Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala and Rajasthan have such Acts, he said.
Yesterday, Ramanaa pointed out that amendments proposed by the state "for welfare of public/ in the interest of revenue have got delayed due to this long drawn procedure," of sending them for President`s assent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!