Tamil Nadu: HC permits holding of TESO meet
Chennai: Bringing an eleventh hour relief to DMK chief M Karunanidhi, the Madras High Court on Sunday permitted holding of the much-hyped pro-Eelam TESO meet called by him here this afternoon.
At a special sitting today, a division bench comprising Justices Elipe Dharma Rao and M Venugopal stayed the order of the Chennai Police Commissioner, declining permission to the organisers to hold the meeting at YMCA grounds here.
Citing security reasons, city police had yesterday refused permission, forcing DMK to change the venue to its party headquarters Anna Arivalayam, instead of YMCA grounds.
TESO had challenged the police action in the High Court, where a single judge had yesterday declined to hear its plea after which the matter was placed before a division bench, which held a special sitting this afternoon.
The last minute refusal of police permission had come as a blow to the DMK patriarch, who is trying to breathe life into the defunct TESO founded by him in the wake of murderous attacks on minority Tamils in Sri Lanka in the 1980s.
The Centre had also done a U-turn yesterday when it told the court that it had no objection to the word `Eelam` (separate homeland) being used in the title of the meet.
The police ban came after the Centre and the Jayalalithaa government raised certain objections in the court on Friday, particularly to use of the word "Eelam" (separate homeland for Tamils) in the meet`s title.
The Ministry of External Affairs in its communication to TESO placed before the court, however, changed its position yesterday while asking the organisers to ensure the meet does not issue any declaration or outcome calling into question the sovereignty, territorial integrity and unity of any foreign country with whom India has diplomatic relations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!