Tamil Nadu leaders condemn India`s ban on Tamil groups
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi Monday condemned the central government`s decision to ban 16 Tamil organisations and their 424 supporters at the request of the Sri Lankan government on charges of supporting terrorism.
Citing news reports, Karunanidhi said in a statement that at a time when Canada and the US have rejected Sri Lanka`s request to ban the 16 overseas Tamil organisations and 424 of its supporters, India`s acceptance of the request was severely condemnable.
Similarly, PMK founder S Ramadoss condemned the government`s decision to ban the organisations and individuals, saying it was "anti-democratic".
He said the Sri Lankan government has not given any proof of these organisations and individuals indulging in terrorist activities.
According to Ramadoss, organisations like the British Tamil Forum and Global Tamil Forum - now banned by Sri Lanka - are fighting to punish those guilty of war crimes in the island nation.
He said the US not only rejected Sri Lanka`s request to ban the groups but also categorically said Colombo has no standing to make such a request.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged