Tamil Nadu suspends IPS officer for taking CBI post without being relieved
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government Thursday suspended senior police official Archana Ramasundaram on the day she took over as the additional director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) at New Delhi.
According to the suspension order issued by Chief Secretary Mohan Verghese Chunkath, disciplinary action against Ramasundram is also being contemplated.
The government order also stipulated that the Indian Police Service officer will have to be here during the period the suspension order is in force.
It is learnt that the state government has not given the formal permission on her request to be relieved from the current posting as director general of police/chairperson, Tamil Nadu Uniformed Services` Recruitment Board.
Her request was pending with the state government for couple of months, and instead of waiting for the state government`s clearance, Ramasundarame took charge as additional director in CBI.
In February, she was appointed in the CBI post. She had sent her request to be relieved to the state home secretary, but before a decision could be taken, the model code of conduct for the general elections came into force.
There is also a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Vineet Narain against her selection to the CBI questioning her choice over R.K.Pachanda who was recommended by the selection committee.
Ramasundaram is a 1980 batch officer from the Tamil Nadu cadre. She already had a stint in CBI as DIG and also as joint director.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali