Tamil Nadu to set up 1000-member strong Civil Defence Corps
Chennai: With a view to assist officials during times of natural disasters, the Tamil Nadu government will establish a 1000 member-strong Civil Defence Corps for units proposed in five districts, including Chennai.
The Corps units will come up in Chennai with a strength of 500 persons, 200 in Mahabalipuram (Kancheepuram district), and 100 members each in Madurai, Tirunelveli and Tiruchirappalli districts, an official release here said.
The necessity for such corps arose as there was a need for large number of human resources in areas affected by natural calamities like cyclone or floods, and to carry out rescue operations swiftly to ensure early return of normalcy. The members will assist state government officials during such times, it said.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has sanctioned Rs 89 lakh towards training and non-recurring expenses involved for this proposal and the respective District Collectors will function as District Controller of these corps, it said.
Further, announcing a slew of measures for police personnel, the Chief Minister sanctioned Rs 100 crore as first instalment of the Rs 473.05 crore towards housing scheme. She has directed construction of 4340 residences this year.
Modernisation of check-posts at Rs 4.15 crore, an allocation of Rs 14.95 crore towards establishment of training facilities for new recruits and creation of new posts in the Forensic Science centres at Coimbatore and Tiruchirappalli, besides procuring new equipment there at Rs 53.25 lakh were other announcements made by the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17