Tamil Nadu to set up 1000-member strong Civil Defence Corps
Chennai: With a view to assist officials during times of natural disasters, the Tamil Nadu government will establish a 1000 member-strong Civil Defence Corps for units proposed in five districts, including Chennai.
The Corps units will come up in Chennai with a strength of 500 persons, 200 in Mahabalipuram (Kancheepuram district), and 100 members each in Madurai, Tirunelveli and Tiruchirappalli districts, an official release here said.
The necessity for such corps arose as there was a need for large number of human resources in areas affected by natural calamities like cyclone or floods, and to carry out rescue operations swiftly to ensure early return of normalcy. The members will assist state government officials during such times, it said.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has sanctioned Rs 89 lakh towards training and non-recurring expenses involved for this proposal and the respective District Collectors will function as District Controller of these corps, it said.
Further, announcing a slew of measures for police personnel, the Chief Minister sanctioned Rs 100 crore as first instalment of the Rs 473.05 crore towards housing scheme. She has directed construction of 4340 residences this year.
Modernisation of check-posts at Rs 4.15 crore, an allocation of Rs 14.95 crore towards establishment of training facilities for new recruits and creation of new posts in the Forensic Science centres at Coimbatore and Tiruchirappalli, besides procuring new equipment there at Rs 53.25 lakh were other announcements made by the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes