Tamil Nadu to set up 1000-member strong Civil Defence Corps
Chennai: With a view to assist officials during times of natural disasters, the Tamil Nadu government will establish a 1000 member-strong Civil Defence Corps for units proposed in five districts, including Chennai.
The Corps units will come up in Chennai with a strength of 500 persons, 200 in Mahabalipuram (Kancheepuram district), and 100 members each in Madurai, Tirunelveli and Tiruchirappalli districts, an official release here said.
The necessity for such corps arose as there was a need for large number of human resources in areas affected by natural calamities like cyclone or floods, and to carry out rescue operations swiftly to ensure early return of normalcy. The members will assist state government officials during such times, it said.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has sanctioned Rs 89 lakh towards training and non-recurring expenses involved for this proposal and the respective District Collectors will function as District Controller of these corps, it said.
Further, announcing a slew of measures for police personnel, the Chief Minister sanctioned Rs 100 crore as first instalment of the Rs 473.05 crore towards housing scheme. She has directed construction of 4340 residences this year.
Modernisation of check-posts at Rs 4.15 crore, an allocation of Rs 14.95 crore towards establishment of training facilities for new recruits and creation of new posts in the Forensic Science centres at Coimbatore and Tiruchirappalli, besides procuring new equipment there at Rs 53.25 lakh were other announcements made by the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in