Tamil Nadu tops in domestic violence cases
New Delhi: Tamil Nadu has got the dubious distinction of having the highest number of domestic violence cases in the country with the state recording 3,983 such cases last year, the government said on Friday.
According to the latest data of the National Crime Records Bureau, a total of 9,431 domestic violence cases were reported across the country during the period, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath informed the Lok Sabha.
Tamil Nadu reported the highest number of such cases against women with 3,983 cases followed by Gujarat with 3,266 and West Bengal with 1,661.
In 2010, 11,718 cases were registered under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act while in 2009, 7,803, cases were registered.
In reply to another question, the minister said the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) had dealt with 36 complaints against alleged suicides of students in school or colleges.
Of these, the maximum 21 complaints were in Tamil Nadu followed by four from Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Get free voice, video call and 4G internet for 90 days on Reliance Jio
- Soha Ali Khan's weekend getaway will surely tempt you!- See pic
- DGCA to soon ban taking selfies on planes!
- WATCH: OUCH! Brett Lee DESTROYS Piers Morgan in nets with BRUTAL deliveries, fractures rib
- Sizzling Mallika Sherawat does head-stand like a pro!- WATCH