Tamil new year issue: Karuna joins with Jaya
Chennai: Continuing the war of words with AIADMK supremo and chief minister Jayalalithaa over the Tamil New Year issue, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday said she had "unilaterally" reversed his government`s move to celebrate it in January out of "political vendetta."
Quoting extensively from Tamil literature and scholars` publications to buttress his claim that birth of Tamil month Thai (January) ushered in the New Year, he charged Jayalalithaa with acting unilaterally in this issue.
"One can understand that I made enough research before making the change in 2008 even as Tamil scholars and poets had already arrived at a decision in this regard. But she had charged me with enacting the law unilaterally," he said writing in the party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
The DMK patriarch said it was Jayalalithaa who had "unilaterally" reversed his government`s decision out of "political vendetta,".
"History will prove this one day and it is atrocious to try to erase Tamils` identity and more so the wrong justifications and true Tamils will realise this soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!