Tamil new year issue: Karuna joins with Jaya
Chennai: Continuing the war of words with AIADMK supremo and chief minister Jayalalithaa over the Tamil New Year issue, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday said she had "unilaterally" reversed his government`s move to celebrate it in January out of "political vendetta."
Quoting extensively from Tamil literature and scholars` publications to buttress his claim that birth of Tamil month Thai (January) ushered in the New Year, he charged Jayalalithaa with acting unilaterally in this issue.
"One can understand that I made enough research before making the change in 2008 even as Tamil scholars and poets had already arrived at a decision in this regard. But she had charged me with enacting the law unilaterally," he said writing in the party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
The DMK patriarch said it was Jayalalithaa who had "unilaterally" reversed his government`s decision out of "political vendetta,".
"History will prove this one day and it is atrocious to try to erase Tamils` identity and more so the wrong justifications and true Tamils will realise this soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing