Tamil new year issue: Karuna joins with Jaya
Chennai: Continuing the war of words with AIADMK supremo and chief minister Jayalalithaa over the Tamil New Year issue, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday said she had "unilaterally" reversed his government`s move to celebrate it in January out of "political vendetta."
Quoting extensively from Tamil literature and scholars` publications to buttress his claim that birth of Tamil month Thai (January) ushered in the New Year, he charged Jayalalithaa with acting unilaterally in this issue.
"One can understand that I made enough research before making the change in 2008 even as Tamil scholars and poets had already arrived at a decision in this regard. But she had charged me with enacting the law unilaterally," he said writing in the party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
The DMK patriarch said it was Jayalalithaa who had "unilaterally" reversed his government`s decision out of "political vendetta,".
"History will prove this one day and it is atrocious to try to erase Tamils` identity and more so the wrong justifications and true Tamils will realise this soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch