`Tamils keeping close tab on govt`s move on Sri Lanka`
Chennai: Keeping up pressure on the Centre, key UPA ally DMK on Sunday said India should support the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in the United Nations for alleged war crimes, and the people of Tamil Nadu and his party were looking forward to the government`s decision with concern.
"India should support the resolution proposed by the United States...People of Tamil Nadu are watching with concern what will be the decision of India on the resolution. We too are (watching)," he told reporters here.
Replying to a question, the 89-year-old DMK patriarch said the party had already stated India should propose the resolution at the UN Human Rights Council at Geneva.
"If India proposes the resolution, it will reflect the country`s duty and the sentiments of the Tamils world over."
Asked whether the Centre was not accepting DMK`s demand over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, he said, "We have repeatedly insisted on it. We will continue to insist. We hope they will understand our sentiments and act. Not only us, Tamils all over the world are eagerly looking forward to see India`s decision."
Dissatisfied with the government`s reply to the debate on the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka, DMK along with arch-rival AIADMK and Left parties had walked out of Rajya Sabha last week.
On whether the Congress party would participate in the conference of Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation, revived by him, to be held in Delhi on March 07, he said, "We have invited the Congress. We hope they will participate”.
Replying to a question about the next Lok Sabha Elections, he said the victory chances of DMK-led front were bright in Tamil Nadu.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!