`Tamils keeping close tab on govt`s move on Sri Lanka`
Chennai: Keeping up pressure on the Centre, key UPA ally DMK on Sunday said India should support the US-backed resolution against Sri Lanka in the United Nations for alleged war crimes, and the people of Tamil Nadu and his party were looking forward to the government`s decision with concern.
"India should support the resolution proposed by the United States...People of Tamil Nadu are watching with concern what will be the decision of India on the resolution. We too are (watching)," he told reporters here.
Replying to a question, the 89-year-old DMK patriarch said the party had already stated India should propose the resolution at the UN Human Rights Council at Geneva.
"If India proposes the resolution, it will reflect the country`s duty and the sentiments of the Tamils world over."
Asked whether the Centre was not accepting DMK`s demand over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, he said, "We have repeatedly insisted on it. We will continue to insist. We hope they will understand our sentiments and act. Not only us, Tamils all over the world are eagerly looking forward to see India`s decision."
Dissatisfied with the government`s reply to the debate on the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka, DMK along with arch-rival AIADMK and Left parties had walked out of Rajya Sabha last week.
On whether the Congress party would participate in the conference of Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation, revived by him, to be held in Delhi on March 07, he said, "We have invited the Congress. We hope they will participate”.
Replying to a question about the next Lok Sabha Elections, he said the victory chances of DMK-led front were bright in Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming