Tax case against Jaya posted to August 7
Chennai: A court here on Thursday adjourned the income tax return cases against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and her aide Sasikala to August 7.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate R Dakshinamurthy allowed the petitions of Jayalalithaa and Sasikala seeking adjournment citing pendency of their plea for compounding the alleged offences against them before Income Tax authorities.
"The plea before the tax authorities has been posted for hearing on July 28 and therefore until the compounding application is decided on merits, further proceedings before this court may not be initiated," the defence prayer said.
Further, "in view of the same, personal appearance may not be warranted today," the defence counsel told the court.
Allowing the plea, the ACMM directed the defence counsel to file a status report on the compounding plea before the tax authorities on August 7.
During the previous hearing on June 30, the defence counsel filed petitions informing the court that applications had been filed before tax authorities seeking compounding the alleged offences.
The prosecution told the court that the tax authorities on June 25 had acknowledged receipt of the compounding plea.
Allowing adjournment petitions, the case was posted to July 24 and the defence counsel was directed to file a status report on the proceedings before the tax authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price