Teacher arrested on chain-snatching charges in Tamil Nadu
Kancheepuram: A 34-year-old school teacher was arrested near here and 73 sovereigns of stolen gold jewellery, valued at about Rs 20 lakh, recovered from him, police said.
Madhan Maran, a school teacher at a hamlet in Vellore district, was arrested on suspicion last night, police said.
Police said there were already cases of chain snatching pending against him and he had already been booked under many cases in and around Osur.
He had joined as teacher in a village school at Osur in 2004 and he was suspended from service in 2012 after he was arrested on robbery charges. He had obtained stay on the suspension and had resumed teaching in a school in Vellore distict two months ago, sources said.
His modus operandi was to go on 10 days leave and commit robberies in the neighbouring district of Kancheepuram, police said, adding, 18 cases of chain snatching had been registered against him in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- We are looking at future of Indian cricket: Sandeep Patil on Yuvraj, Harbhajan's axing
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside
- Rio Olympics: Sachin Tendulkar meets wrestlers ahead of quadrennial event, boosts morale
- IPL 2016: Shane Watson reprimanded for using offensive language during match against Delhi Daredevils