Teacher arrested on chain-snatching charges in Tamil Nadu
Kancheepuram: A 34-year-old school teacher was arrested near here and 73 sovereigns of stolen gold jewellery, valued at about Rs 20 lakh, recovered from him, police said.
Madhan Maran, a school teacher at a hamlet in Vellore district, was arrested on suspicion last night, police said.
Police said there were already cases of chain snatching pending against him and he had already been booked under many cases in and around Osur.
He had joined as teacher in a village school at Osur in 2004 and he was suspended from service in 2012 after he was arrested on robbery charges. He had obtained stay on the suspension and had resumed teaching in a school in Vellore distict two months ago, sources said.
His modus operandi was to go on 10 days leave and commit robberies in the neighbouring district of Kancheepuram, police said, adding, 18 cases of chain snatching had been registered against him in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason
- Two lakh ration cards cancelled in two months in Jharkhand
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit