Teacher arrested on chain-snatching charges in Tamil Nadu
Kancheepuram: A 34-year-old school teacher was arrested near here and 73 sovereigns of stolen gold jewellery, valued at about Rs 20 lakh, recovered from him, police said.
Madhan Maran, a school teacher at a hamlet in Vellore district, was arrested on suspicion last night, police said.
Police said there were already cases of chain snatching pending against him and he had already been booked under many cases in and around Osur.
He had joined as teacher in a village school at Osur in 2004 and he was suspended from service in 2012 after he was arrested on robbery charges. He had obtained stay on the suspension and had resumed teaching in a school in Vellore distict two months ago, sources said.
His modus operandi was to go on 10 days leave and commit robberies in the neighbouring district of Kancheepuram, police said, adding, 18 cases of chain snatching had been registered against him in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31