Teenaged girl commits suicide in TN
Udhagamandalam: A tenth standard girl student allegedly committed suicide by setting herself ablaze, reportedly over sexual harassment at a private school near here, where she was studying, police said.
The 15-year-old student, who was staying in the hostel had returned to her house in Kothagiri last evening, doused herself with kerosene and set herself afire when the parents had gone out, police said.
Some locals saw the fire and broke open the front door and immediately took her to Kothagiri Government Hospital, from where she was referred to a Coimbatore hospital where she succumbed to burns this morning, police said.
The relatives of the girl and residents of the area resorted to road block on Conoor-Kothagiri road for two hours, demanding that those behind the alleged sexual harassment be arrested immediately. The complained that many girl students were subjected to sexual harassment in the school.
A teacher was dismissed from the school some eight months ago, following complaints by two girl students about sexual harassment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr