Teenaged girl commits suicide in TN
Udhagamandalam: A tenth standard girl student allegedly committed suicide by setting herself ablaze, reportedly over sexual harassment at a private school near here, where she was studying, police said.
The 15-year-old student, who was staying in the hostel had returned to her house in Kothagiri last evening, doused herself with kerosene and set herself afire when the parents had gone out, police said.
Some locals saw the fire and broke open the front door and immediately took her to Kothagiri Government Hospital, from where she was referred to a Coimbatore hospital where she succumbed to burns this morning, police said.
The relatives of the girl and residents of the area resorted to road block on Conoor-Kothagiri road for two hours, demanding that those behind the alleged sexual harassment be arrested immediately. The complained that many girl students were subjected to sexual harassment in the school.
A teacher was dismissed from the school some eight months ago, following complaints by two girl students about sexual harassment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video