Tension after fire guts `unauthorised` place of worship
Sivaganga : Tension prevailed in parts of this town on Sunday after a thatched roof of a place of worship run by a trust was gutted in a mysterious fire, police said.
The place of worship at a temporary shed and stated to be unauthorised caught fire around midnight on Saturday. On a complaint from the trust officials, fire and rescue service personnel and police rushed and put out the fire. But by the time thatched roof was burnt down.
Police said investigations were on to ascertain whether there was any sabotage behind the incident as alleged by the local residents, who were opposing the location of a liquor outlet bar, run by some ruling AIADMK men, a short distance away from the place of worship.
A large number people gathered in the area and demanded the arrest of the suspects, leading to tension.
Sivaganga Superintendent of Police Aswin Mukund Kotnis was holding a peace meeting with the trust members, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband