Tension eases in Dharmapuri district
Dharmapuri: With the wife of a man who committed suicide over his daughter marrying a Dalit, coming forward to receive and cremate his body, the situation in some colonies in the district which witnessed violence let loose allegedly by caste Hindus, is limping back to normal, officials claimed on Sunday.
Nagaraj of Chellankottai village had committed suicide on November 7 and tension prevailed as no one had come forward to receive his body.
His widow finally agreed to accept the body last night and it was handed over to his 17-year-old son today after completing the requisite formalities, officials said.
Nagaraj`s body was later cremated with police maintaining tight vigil.
Meanwhile, police continued their search for over 300 people allegedly involved in the arson targeting three Dalit colonies.
Police said as many as 126 persons have been arrested in connection with the violent incidents.
Meanwhile, senior CPI leader and party Central Executive Committee member R Nallakkannu appealed to the state government to order judicial probe into the violence against the SC community. He was speaking to reporters after visiting the violence-hit areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says