Tension eases in Dharmapuri district
Dharmapuri: With the wife of a man who committed suicide over his daughter marrying a Dalit, coming forward to receive and cremate his body, the situation in some colonies in the district which witnessed violence let loose allegedly by caste Hindus, is limping back to normal, officials claimed on Sunday.
Nagaraj of Chellankottai village had committed suicide on November 7 and tension prevailed as no one had come forward to receive his body.
His widow finally agreed to accept the body last night and it was handed over to his 17-year-old son today after completing the requisite formalities, officials said.
Nagaraj`s body was later cremated with police maintaining tight vigil.
Meanwhile, police continued their search for over 300 people allegedly involved in the arson targeting three Dalit colonies.
Police said as many as 126 persons have been arrested in connection with the violent incidents.
Meanwhile, senior CPI leader and party Central Executive Committee member R Nallakkannu appealed to the state government to order judicial probe into the violence against the SC community. He was speaking to reporters after visiting the violence-hit areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read