Tension eases in Dharmapuri district
Dharmapuri: With the wife of a man who committed suicide over his daughter marrying a Dalit, coming forward to receive and cremate his body, the situation in some colonies in the district which witnessed violence let loose allegedly by caste Hindus, is limping back to normal, officials claimed on Sunday.
Nagaraj of Chellankottai village had committed suicide on November 7 and tension prevailed as no one had come forward to receive his body.
His widow finally agreed to accept the body last night and it was handed over to his 17-year-old son today after completing the requisite formalities, officials said.
Nagaraj`s body was later cremated with police maintaining tight vigil.
Meanwhile, police continued their search for over 300 people allegedly involved in the arson targeting three Dalit colonies.
Police said as many as 126 persons have been arrested in connection with the violent incidents.
Meanwhile, senior CPI leader and party Central Executive Committee member R Nallakkannu appealed to the state government to order judicial probe into the violence against the SC community. He was speaking to reporters after visiting the violence-hit areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials