Tension in Perambalur as DMK, VCK workers indulge in violence
Tiruchirappalli (TN): Tension prevailed in
Perambalur and Ariyalur districts as some DMK and Dalit-outfit
Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi workers allegedly indulged in
violence to protest the arrest of former Telecom Minister A
Raja in connection with the 2 G spectrum scam on Wednesday.
Police said several shops and business establishments
in the districts remained closed and workers of both parties
resorted to blocking road traffic at many places.
Police said six buses had been damaged in violence in
Perambalur district, hometown of Raja, who is considered the
dalit face of the DMK. No one was injured in these attacks.
Tension mounted in neighbouring Ariyalur town as
AIADMK men distributed sweets to celebrate Raja`s arrest with
DMK workers opposing it.
DMK and VCK workers allegedly pelted stones at the
office of the Tamil daily `Dinamalar` office at Perambalur.The
video camera of a cameraman of AIADMK-backed Jaya TV and
camera of Tamil daily `Dinakaran`s photographer at Perambalur
were broken, allegedly by the workers.
Police said ten persons had been taken into custody in
connection with the violence.
Police said the situation in Perambalur and Ariyalur
was fully under control and armed policemen had been posted in
Traffic on the Chennai-Tiruchi highway was affected
for two hours near Perambalur as supporters of Raja and VCK
workers blocked traffic and started burning tyres and throwing
them on the road.
Police rushed to the spot to disperse them.
Slogan shouting DMK and VCK workers forced shops to
down shutters,police said.
Bus services to many places in the two districts had
been cancelled for the night, Transport officials said.
Tension also prevailed in Kumbakonam as some AIADMK
workers burst crackers on hearing about Raja`s arrest. DMK men
protested against the celebration and staged a protest at the
bus-stand demanding action against those who burst crackers.
They later dispersed following an assurance from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing