Tension in Perambalur as DMK, VCK workers indulge in violence
Tiruchirappalli (TN): Tension prevailed in
Perambalur and Ariyalur districts as some DMK and Dalit-outfit
Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi workers allegedly indulged in
violence to protest the arrest of former Telecom Minister A
Raja in connection with the 2 G spectrum scam on Wednesday.
Police said several shops and business establishments
in the districts remained closed and workers of both parties
resorted to blocking road traffic at many places.
Police said six buses had been damaged in violence in
Perambalur district, hometown of Raja, who is considered the
dalit face of the DMK. No one was injured in these attacks.
Tension mounted in neighbouring Ariyalur town as
AIADMK men distributed sweets to celebrate Raja`s arrest with
DMK workers opposing it.
DMK and VCK workers allegedly pelted stones at the
office of the Tamil daily `Dinamalar` office at Perambalur.The
video camera of a cameraman of AIADMK-backed Jaya TV and
camera of Tamil daily `Dinakaran`s photographer at Perambalur
were broken, allegedly by the workers.
Police said ten persons had been taken into custody in
connection with the violence.
Police said the situation in Perambalur and Ariyalur
was fully under control and armed policemen had been posted in
Traffic on the Chennai-Tiruchi highway was affected
for two hours near Perambalur as supporters of Raja and VCK
workers blocked traffic and started burning tyres and throwing
them on the road.
Police rushed to the spot to disperse them.
Slogan shouting DMK and VCK workers forced shops to
down shutters,police said.
Bus services to many places in the two districts had
been cancelled for the night, Transport officials said.
Tension also prevailed in Kumbakonam as some AIADMK
workers burst crackers on hearing about Raja`s arrest. DMK men
protested against the celebration and staged a protest at the
bus-stand demanding action against those who burst crackers.
They later dispersed following an assurance from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark