‘TESO meet aimed at betterment of Lankan Tamils’
Chennai: Accusing the Sri Lankan government of unleashing a "wrong campaign" against pro-Eelam TESO meet, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday said the conference, which will be held here on August 12, is only aimed at bettering the livelihood of Tamils in the neighbouring nation.
He said "reports have been received" about Sri Lankan government saying the conference of revived Tamil Eelam Supporters` Organisations (TESO) was against the island Republic and that it condemned it.
"Reports have been received that Minister for Information (Kehelia Rambukwella, whom Karunanidhi did not name) has said those participating in the meet will be monitored.
"The statement of the Sri Lankan government and remarks of the minister are based on imagination. This conference will be held to better the livelihood of Sri Lankan Tamils. It is a matter of concern that this fact is not understood," he said in a statement here.
TESO conference will take forward the efforts for the welfare of the Lankan Tamils, he said.
"I request the Tamils here and elsewhere, including Sri Lanka, not to believe the negative campaign undertaken on behalf of the Sri Lankan government," he said.
A once defunct organisation founded by him, TESO was revived by Karunanidhi recently and its first meet will be held here on Sunday with scores of leaders, including union ministers Sharad Pawar and Farooq Abdullah, besides some Sri Lankan Tamil leaders scheduled to participate in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand