‘TESO meet aimed at betterment of Lankan Tamils’
Chennai: Accusing the Sri Lankan government of unleashing a "wrong campaign" against pro-Eelam TESO meet, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday said the conference, which will be held here on August 12, is only aimed at bettering the livelihood of Tamils in the neighbouring nation.
He said "reports have been received" about Sri Lankan government saying the conference of revived Tamil Eelam Supporters` Organisations (TESO) was against the island Republic and that it condemned it.
"Reports have been received that Minister for Information (Kehelia Rambukwella, whom Karunanidhi did not name) has said those participating in the meet will be monitored.
"The statement of the Sri Lankan government and remarks of the minister are based on imagination. This conference will be held to better the livelihood of Sri Lankan Tamils. It is a matter of concern that this fact is not understood," he said in a statement here.
TESO conference will take forward the efforts for the welfare of the Lankan Tamils, he said.
"I request the Tamils here and elsewhere, including Sri Lanka, not to believe the negative campaign undertaken on behalf of the Sri Lankan government," he said.
A once defunct organisation founded by him, TESO was revived by Karunanidhi recently and its first meet will be held here on Sunday with scores of leaders, including union ministers Sharad Pawar and Farooq Abdullah, besides some Sri Lankan Tamil leaders scheduled to participate in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31