They should be spared from execution, says Veerappan`s widow
Salem: Widow of forest brigand Veerappan has pleaded that the four associates of her husband, who are on a death row in a landmine blast case, be spared from execution.
"Already my husband has been killed by Tamil Nadu police at Dharmapuri. Now four of his associates are going to be hanged. Please, it should not be carried out," Muthulakshmi said.
She was talking to a news agency reacting to reports quoting Balamurugan, general secretary of People`s Union for Civil Liberties, Tamil Nadu, that the mercy pleas of Veerapan`s four associates have been rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee.
Veerappan`s elder brother Gnanaprakash, Simon, `Meesai` Madaian and Pilavendran were sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004 in connection with the blast at Palar in Karnataka carried out by the Veerappan gang, in which 22 police personnel were killed.
"It is a shocking news that the four would be hanged since their mercy petitions were rejected by the President", 60-year-old Thangammal, wife of Madaian said.
"My son Maadesh was shot dead by police and my husband is in Belgaum jail. We are in poverty," Thangammal, who is staying with her another son said, adding, she met her husband six month ago in the prison. Then he told me that he will be released within a few months. But all of a sudden I am hearing that he will be hanged. It is like breaking my head with a hammer," she said.
However, K Gopalakrishnan, a former superintendent of police, who led the assault team of STF, said "I am happy that though justice was delayed in the case, it has finally come as 22 innocent police personnel have lost their lives and 11 suffered injuries in the blast".
They were earlier sentenced to life by the TADA court in Mysore. But the government moved the Supreme Court, which awarded them the death sentence, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened