Thirty TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Thirty fishermen of Pudukottai district in Tamil Nadu were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing at Kodiyankarai, a senior Fisheries Department official said on Thursday.
They were arrested last night for allegedly fishing in Lankan waters and eight boats were also seized, N Thirunageswaran, Assistant Director, Fisheries Department, Jagathapattinam, said.
They have been taken to Kankeshanthurai, he said.
This came on a day when the Sri Lankan Navy had detained as many as 327 Indian fishermen while they were fishing in the Palk Strait and later released 227 of them. The 100 fishermen in custody were taken to Trincomallee.
The fishermen, hailing from Karaikal, Nagapattinam and Jagathapattinam, had been arrested for allegedly fishing in Lankan territorial waters.
S.Emerite, Rameswaram Fishermen organisation president, said fishermen of Nagapattinam, Jagathapattinam, Akkarai Pettai and Pudukottai boycotted fishing today protesting the arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees