Thirty TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Thirty fishermen of Pudukottai district in Tamil Nadu were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing at Kodiyankarai, a senior Fisheries Department official said on Thursday.
They were arrested last night for allegedly fishing in Lankan waters and eight boats were also seized, N Thirunageswaran, Assistant Director, Fisheries Department, Jagathapattinam, said.
They have been taken to Kankeshanthurai, he said.
This came on a day when the Sri Lankan Navy had detained as many as 327 Indian fishermen while they were fishing in the Palk Strait and later released 227 of them. The 100 fishermen in custody were taken to Trincomallee.
The fishermen, hailing from Karaikal, Nagapattinam and Jagathapattinam, had been arrested for allegedly fishing in Lankan territorial waters.
S.Emerite, Rameswaram Fishermen organisation president, said fishermen of Nagapattinam, Jagathapattinam, Akkarai Pettai and Pudukottai boycotted fishing today protesting the arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Karisma Kapoor just shared a major throwback picture with sister Kareena and we LOVE IT!
- Fungi show green way to recycle batteries
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit