Thirty TN fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Thirty fishermen of Pudukottai district in Tamil Nadu were arrested by Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing at Kodiyankarai, a senior Fisheries Department official said on Thursday.
They were arrested last night for allegedly fishing in Lankan waters and eight boats were also seized, N Thirunageswaran, Assistant Director, Fisheries Department, Jagathapattinam, said.
They have been taken to Kankeshanthurai, he said.
This came on a day when the Sri Lankan Navy had detained as many as 327 Indian fishermen while they were fishing in the Palk Strait and later released 227 of them. The 100 fishermen in custody were taken to Trincomallee.
The fishermen, hailing from Karaikal, Nagapattinam and Jagathapattinam, had been arrested for allegedly fishing in Lankan territorial waters.
S.Emerite, Rameswaram Fishermen organisation president, said fishermen of Nagapattinam, Jagathapattinam, Akkarai Pettai and Pudukottai boycotted fishing today protesting the arrests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog