Thousands throng Velankani to celebrate Christmas
Nagapattinam: Thousands of pilgrims from
several parts of the country and abroad thronged at the
Christian pilgrim town of Velankanni here on Sunday to celebrate
Special masses and prayers marked the festival.
On Christmas eve, when the clock struck 12 at night, priests
of the Church came in procession to announce the birth of
Jesus. Little children carried candles and the Holy Bible with
After offering prayers in English and Tamil, the Parish
Priest showed the idol of a infant Jesus marking the birth of
The church authorities had put up a huge pandal illuminated
with lamps in the premises of Shrine Basillica to accommodate
30,000 pilgrims at a time, church sources said.
Similarly, hundreds of devotees participated in the special
prayers at the New Jerusalem Church at Tarangambadi, built in
1718 and is the oldest Protestant church in Asia.
Besides, there is the famous Zion Church, built in 1701
which is an architectural marvel. There is also the majestic
Church of Our Lady of Rosary at Taranagambadi, which belongs
to the Roman Catholics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble