Thousands throng Velankani to celebrate Christmas
Nagapattinam: Thousands of pilgrims from
several parts of the country and abroad thronged at the
Christian pilgrim town of Velankanni here on Sunday to celebrate
Special masses and prayers marked the festival.
On Christmas eve, when the clock struck 12 at night, priests
of the Church came in procession to announce the birth of
Jesus. Little children carried candles and the Holy Bible with
After offering prayers in English and Tamil, the Parish
Priest showed the idol of a infant Jesus marking the birth of
The church authorities had put up a huge pandal illuminated
with lamps in the premises of Shrine Basillica to accommodate
30,000 pilgrims at a time, church sources said.
Similarly, hundreds of devotees participated in the special
prayers at the New Jerusalem Church at Tarangambadi, built in
1718 and is the oldest Protestant church in Asia.
Besides, there is the famous Zion Church, built in 1701
which is an architectural marvel. There is also the majestic
Church of Our Lady of Rosary at Taranagambadi, which belongs
to the Roman Catholics.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today