Thousands throng Velankani to celebrate Christmas
Nagapattinam (TN): Thousands of pilgrims from several parts of the country and abroad thronged the Christian pilgrim town of Velankanni here today to celebrate Christmas, which was marked by special masses and prayers.
On Christmas eve, when the clock struck 12 at night, priests of the Church came in procession to announce the birth of Jesus. Little children carried candles and the Holy Bible with them.
After offering prayers in English and Tamil, the Parish Priest showed the idol of an infant Jesus marking the birth of Jesus.
The church authorities had put up a huge pandal, illuminated with lamps in the premises of Shrine Basillica to accommodate 30,000 pilgrims at a time, church sources said.
Similarly, hundreds of devotees participated in the special prayers at the New Jerusalem Church at Tarangambadi, built in 1718 and is the oldest Protestant church in Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi