Thousands witness car festival at Tirunallar
Karaikal: Hundreds of devotees on Thursday witnessed the car festival of Lord Dharbaranyeswara Swamy temple at Tirunallar in Karaikal district.
In the big car, the presiding deity -Shenbaka Thyagaraja Swamigal was placed and in the small car,Ambal was placed. The cars were taken out in procession through all important streets of Tirunallar.
District Collector J Ashok Kumarand others participated in the festival.
Tight security arrangements had been made in connection with the festival.A local holiday had been declared in the district on Thursday.
Earlier on Wednesday, the deities were placed on `rishaba vahanam` and maha deeparadhana was performed.
On Friday, Lord Saneeswara will be taken out in procession on Golden Crow mount. The Brahmorchavam, which commenced on May 17, concludes on June 4 with the float festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?