Three killed in blast at Sivakasi firecracker unit
Chennai: Three people died and eight others were injured in a blast in a firecracker unit near Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu Sunday morning, police said.
The accident at Rathna Fire Works occurred at 10 a.m., when workers were making fancy firecrackers.
Speaking to a news agency over phone from Virudhunagar, a police official said: "Out of the eight injured persons, seven have been admitted to a Sivakasi hospital, and one has been referred to a hospital in Madurai."
Four of the injured persons have suffered 80 percent burn injuries.
Police said firemen doused the blaze that erupted following the blast.
Senior district administration and police officials have reached the accident site.
Nearly 90 percent of the country`s fireworks are made in Sivakasi, the oldest and largest hub of the firecracker industry in the country. Nearly 80 percent of the country`s match-boxes also come from Sivakasi, about 540 km from the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed