Three killed in blast at Sivakasi firecracker unit
Chennai: Three people died and eight others were injured in a blast in a firecracker unit near Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu Sunday morning, police said.
The accident at Rathna Fire Works occurred at 10 a.m., when workers were making fancy firecrackers.
Speaking to a news agency over phone from Virudhunagar, a police official said: "Out of the eight injured persons, seven have been admitted to a Sivakasi hospital, and one has been referred to a hospital in Madurai."
Four of the injured persons have suffered 80 percent burn injuries.
Police said firemen doused the blaze that erupted following the blast.
Senior district administration and police officials have reached the accident site.
Nearly 90 percent of the country`s fireworks are made in Sivakasi, the oldest and largest hub of the firecracker industry in the country. Nearly 80 percent of the country`s match-boxes also come from Sivakasi, about 540 km from the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video