Three killed in blast at Sivakasi firecracker unit
Chennai: Three people died and eight others were injured in a blast in a firecracker unit near Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu Sunday morning, police said.
The accident at Rathna Fire Works occurred at 10 a.m., when workers were making fancy firecrackers.
Speaking to a news agency over phone from Virudhunagar, a police official said: "Out of the eight injured persons, seven have been admitted to a Sivakasi hospital, and one has been referred to a hospital in Madurai."
Four of the injured persons have suffered 80 percent burn injuries.
Police said firemen doused the blaze that erupted following the blast.
Senior district administration and police officials have reached the accident site.
Nearly 90 percent of the country`s fireworks are made in Sivakasi, the oldest and largest hub of the firecracker industry in the country. Nearly 80 percent of the country`s match-boxes also come from Sivakasi, about 540 km from the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH