Three killed in explosion in firecracker unit
Chennai: Three persons were killed and 11 injured in an explosion at an unlicensed firecracker unit in Chengam at Tiruvannamalai district on Friday, Fire and Rescue sources said here.
The premises of the unit was used for storage purposes and crackers were being packed into gift boxes when the mishap occurred.
Two of the deceased were identified as A Indian (18) and A Chennammal (34). The body of the third person was charred beyond recognition.
"We found traces of sulphur on the spot. It is not known if the place was also used for making crackers," V Ramasamy, Tiruvannamalai Divisional Officer, Fire and Rescue Services told.
Confirming that the unit was unlicensed, he said two fire tenders were pressed into service immediately to put out the blaze that had also partially spread to a nearby eatery.
All the injured were admitted to hospital and condition of four of them were serious. The cause of the explosion is being investigated, he said.
- WB polls: Transgender to become presiding officer for first time
- BJP, Congress, CPI-M should reveal 'unknown donors': Trinamool MP
- Now foreigners and NRIs can book train tickets through debit and credit cards
- 5 things that make you really unprofessional!
- To curb exorbitant charges, Parliamentary panel recommends fixing upper limit for economy class airfares