Three main Tamil Nadu ports put on alert
Chennai: Following terror threats to Tamil Nadu through the coastal routes, three main ports in the state have been put on alert with the security agencies coordinating with them to "thwart any untoward incident."
Union Shipping Minister GK Vasan has instructed Chairmen of all the three Major Ports in Tamil Nadu -- Chennai, Tuticorin and Ennore -- to take all precautionary measures and to be "fully alert", a release from Chennai Port Trust said.
Accordingly, extra deployment of security personnel have been made at each entry and exit points from both land and sea to prevent any untoward incident.
Moreover, CISF QRT (Quick Reaction Teams) and Marine Commandos have also been directed for patrolling in the respective areas round the clock, it said, adding, CISF` Intelligence Wing was in touch with security agencies.
"Ports Chairmen are in constant touch with the security agencies viz., Navy, Coastguard and Coastal Security Police, in maintaining close vigil on the situation and thwart any untoward incident," it said.
Security has been stepped up in the state following an alert from the Intelligence Bureau last week that terrorists plan to sneak in through the Palk Strait from Jaffna in Sri Lanka and attack Madurai and Mayiladuthurai.
It was further strengthened when an anonymous phone call claimed of an infiltration.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference