Three main Tamil Nadu ports put on alert
Chennai: Following terror threats to Tamil Nadu through the coastal routes, three main ports in the state have been put on alert with the security agencies coordinating with them to "thwart any untoward incident."
Union Shipping Minister GK Vasan has instructed Chairmen of all the three Major Ports in Tamil Nadu -- Chennai, Tuticorin and Ennore -- to take all precautionary measures and to be "fully alert", a release from Chennai Port Trust said.
Accordingly, extra deployment of security personnel have been made at each entry and exit points from both land and sea to prevent any untoward incident.
Moreover, CISF QRT (Quick Reaction Teams) and Marine Commandos have also been directed for patrolling in the respective areas round the clock, it said, adding, CISF` Intelligence Wing was in touch with security agencies.
"Ports Chairmen are in constant touch with the security agencies viz., Navy, Coastguard and Coastal Security Police, in maintaining close vigil on the situation and thwart any untoward incident," it said.
Security has been stepped up in the state following an alert from the Intelligence Bureau last week that terrorists plan to sneak in through the Palk Strait from Jaffna in Sri Lanka and attack Madurai and Mayiladuthurai.
It was further strengthened when an anonymous phone call claimed of an infiltration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway