Three more succumb to injuries in Oct 30 violence
Chennai: Three persons from Madurai succumbed to burn injuries sustained in a violent incident a few days back during the Thevar Guru Puja celebrations, taking the toll in various incidents that day to six.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said the victims were injured when some anti-social elements hurled petrol filled bottles at their van while they were returning after paying homage to veteran freedom fighter and Thevar community icon Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar in Ramanathapuram district on October 30.
While Jayapandi died on November 3, Sundarapandi and Vetrivel succumbed the next day in a hospital, she said in a statement while condoling the deaths.
The Chief Minister said she had directed a payment of Rs 5 lakh each as relief to the families of the victims.
Earlier, three persons had been killed in various incidents on October 30. Jayalalithaa had informed the state Assembly that adequate security measures had been put in place and peace restored in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar