Three more succumb to injuries in Oct 30 violence
Chennai: Three persons from Madurai succumbed to burn injuries sustained in a violent incident a few days back during the Thevar Guru Puja celebrations, taking the toll in various incidents that day to six.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said the victims were injured when some anti-social elements hurled petrol filled bottles at their van while they were returning after paying homage to veteran freedom fighter and Thevar community icon Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar in Ramanathapuram district on October 30.
While Jayapandi died on November 3, Sundarapandi and Vetrivel succumbed the next day in a hospital, she said in a statement while condoling the deaths.
The Chief Minister said she had directed a payment of Rs 5 lakh each as relief to the families of the victims.
Earlier, three persons had been killed in various incidents on October 30. Jayalalithaa had informed the state Assembly that adequate security measures had been put in place and peace restored in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you