Three more succumb to injuries in Oct 30 violence
Chennai: Three persons from Madurai succumbed to burn injuries sustained in a violent incident a few days back during the Thevar Guru Puja celebrations, taking the toll in various incidents that day to six.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said the victims were injured when some anti-social elements hurled petrol filled bottles at their van while they were returning after paying homage to veteran freedom fighter and Thevar community icon Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar in Ramanathapuram district on October 30.
While Jayapandi died on November 3, Sundarapandi and Vetrivel succumbed the next day in a hospital, she said in a statement while condoling the deaths.
The Chief Minister said she had directed a payment of Rs 5 lakh each as relief to the families of the victims.
Earlier, three persons had been killed in various incidents on October 30. Jayalalithaa had informed the state Assembly that adequate security measures had been put in place and peace restored in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir