Tight security in Tirupati ahead of SL Prez`s visit
Tirupati: A thick security blanket has been thrown over this temple town in the wake of reports that some Tamil Nadu-based outfits may create trouble during the visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa here this evening, police said Friday.
The Vaiko-led MDMK party, which blames Rajapaksa for the plight of Tamils in the last phase of conflict between the Lankan Army and rebel LTTE, has announced staging black flag protest at Tirupati against the leader`s visit there.
Various pro-Tamil groups including DMK-led TESO have also announced protests elsewhere.
Unprecedented security arrangements have been put in place at the airport here, across the 15 km road from the airport leading to the foot of the hills called Alipiri and the 18 km long hill route leading to Tirumala, the hill abode of Lord Venkateswara, police sources said.
Rajapaksa would offer prayers in the wee hours on Saturday, temple sources told PTI, adding, he would also take part in the `Suprabhatha recitation ritual by priests at the sanctum sanctorum.
Rajapaksa would arrive at the airport here this evening on a 17 hour pilgrimage by a Sri Lankan special flight and immediately proceed to the hills by road, and stay overnight at the tightly guarded Sri Padmavathi guest house, the sources said.
He had last visited the shrine on April 2, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her