TN: 300 kg of sea cucumber seized
Rameswaram: A Naval Patrol team Thursday seized 300 kg of sea cucumber, an endangered marine species, from two mechanised boats in the sea off Kothandaramar Temple here and nine persons arrested in this connection.
Those on board the two vessels were arrested, Naval Commander T.Satyanarayana who led the team, said.
Sea cucumbers which were alive were let back into the sea,and the rest handed over to forest department officials, he said.
Though fishing and trading of sea cucumber was banned by the Centre in 2002, it is smuggled in large numbers to Japan, Indonesia and Sri Lanka, where people believe it has medicinal properties.
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12) Result 2016, NBSE 12th Class Result 2016 announced; check nbsenagaland.com, nagaland.gov.in
- WATCH: Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Gautam Gambhir kicks a chair to celebrate team's win over Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Biggest tech merger in history to be called Dell Technologies
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi was codenamed 'gorgeous girl' by European middlemen?
- The only temple dedicated to Lord Brahma is in this Indian state