TN: 300 kg of sea cucumber seized
Rameswaram: A Naval Patrol team Thursday seized 300 kg of sea cucumber, an endangered marine species, from two mechanised boats in the sea off Kothandaramar Temple here and nine persons arrested in this connection.
Those on board the two vessels were arrested, Naval Commander T.Satyanarayana who led the team, said.
Sea cucumbers which were alive were let back into the sea,and the rest handed over to forest department officials, he said.
Though fishing and trading of sea cucumber was banned by the Centre in 2002, it is smuggled in large numbers to Japan, Indonesia and Sri Lanka, where people believe it has medicinal properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption