TN: 300 kg of sea cucumber seized
Rameswaram: A Naval Patrol team Thursday seized 300 kg of sea cucumber, an endangered marine species, from two mechanised boats in the sea off Kothandaramar Temple here and nine persons arrested in this connection.
Those on board the two vessels were arrested, Naval Commander T.Satyanarayana who led the team, said.
Sea cucumbers which were alive were let back into the sea,and the rest handed over to forest department officials, he said.
Though fishing and trading of sea cucumber was banned by the Centre in 2002, it is smuggled in large numbers to Japan, Indonesia and Sri Lanka, where people believe it has medicinal properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- US tries to stop feuding allies from unraveling Syria strategy
- After Rio disappointment, Yogeshwar Dutt receives boost with London 2012 medal upgrade
- First look: Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' posters will leave you intrigued – View inside
- Facebook promoted fake news story on Trending Topics
- IIT Bombay alumnus named CEO of US firm ANSYS