TN: 73 pc polling in Pudukkottai by-poll
Chennai: An estimated 73 per cent polling was recorded in the bye-election to the Pudukkottai Assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu where ruling AIADMK and DMDK faced a direct contest.
Poll officials said voting was "by and large peaceful."
Voters turned up in good numbers and a brisk polling was witnessed right from the morning in the constituency where Kathik Thondaiman of AIADMK and DMDK`s Jahir Hussain are in the fray among 18 others.
Other opposition parties, including DMK and Vaiko`s MDMK, have not fielded their candidates.
Poll officials said the EVMs would be stored in the strong room of the counting centre which would be guarded by Central Armed Police Force.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of CPI MLA SP Muthukumaran in a road accident on April 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest