TN: 73 pc polling in Pudukkottai by-poll
Chennai: An estimated 73 per cent polling was recorded in the bye-election to the Pudukkottai Assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu where ruling AIADMK and DMDK faced a direct contest.
Poll officials said voting was "by and large peaceful."
Voters turned up in good numbers and a brisk polling was witnessed right from the morning in the constituency where Kathik Thondaiman of AIADMK and DMDK`s Jahir Hussain are in the fray among 18 others.
Other opposition parties, including DMK and Vaiko`s MDMK, have not fielded their candidates.
Poll officials said the EVMs would be stored in the strong room of the counting centre which would be guarded by Central Armed Police Force.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of CPI MLA SP Muthukumaran in a road accident on April 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP