TN adopts resolution asking Centre to name terminal after MGR
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu Assembly on Monday adopted an unanimous resolution demanding that the Centre name the modernised domestic terminal II at Chennai airport after AIADMK founder and former Chief Minister MG Ramachandran.
The resolution moved by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa was supported by Opposition DMK and Congress, which ensured its passage unanimously.
Jayalalithaa explained the need for passing of the resolution by the House, saying Civil Aviation Minsiter Ajit Singh recently suggested to her that the state government besides making a request for naming the second terminal after the late Chief Minister, its state Assembly should adopt a resolution and send it to the Centre for consideration.
Jayalalithaa recalled that she boycotted the inaguration of the new terminal by Vice-President Hamid Ansari on this January 31, to protest against the Centre for not conceding the state government`s demand for naming it after M G Ramachandran.
MG Ramachandran was a popular leader among the masses in the state even after his demise and the "Assembly insists that Indian government should take steps to name the second terminal of the modernised domestic terminal II at the airport," after the late leader, Jayalalithaa stressed while speaking on the resolution.
She recalled that the international and domestic terminals had earlier been named after former Chief Ministers, the late C N Annadurai and K Kamaraj, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video