TN advocate general withdraws from lottery case in Kerala
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Advocate General P S
Raman, whose appearance in the lottery case in Kerala has
drawn its government`s ire, has recused himself from the case
following a request from Chief Minister M Karunanidhi.
This comes three days after Kerala Chief Minister V S
Achuthanandan`s conveyed to Karunanidhi his government`s "deep
concern and displeasure" over Raman`s appearance in the case.
In response to Achuthanandan`s letter on October 8,
Karunanidhi said he had the matter examined.
As advocate general of Tamil Nadu, Raman is debarred
from advising or holding briefs against the state of Tamil
Nadu or its instrumentalities, Karunanidhi said.
"The advocate general of Tamil Nadu (as in most other
states) is at liberty to have a practice that does not require
our prior permission," he said in a letter to Achuthanandan, a
copy of which was released to the media today.
"In the present case, Raman has appeared in his
capacity as senior counsel and not as advocate general of
Tamil Nadu. Therefore, there is no legal bar in his having
done so," he said.
"However, since you (Achuthanandan) have written to me
in this regard based on the state cabinet`s decision, I have
requested P S Raman to withdraw from the case," Karunanidhi
Raman has agreed to recuse himself from the lottery
case in deference to his request though legally or
constitutionally there is no bar, Karunanidhi said, adding, he
hoped this puts a closure to the matter.
Achuthanandan had said Raman`s appearance in the case
against the Kerala government`s stand on the lottery issue
amounted to violation of constitutional norms. He wanted
Karunanidhi to view Raman`s conduct seriously and examine the
matter and the constitutional issues involved.
His letter to Karunanidhi came in the wake of the
state cabinet deciding to take up the issue with the
Raman had appeared in the Kerala High Court on Monday
last for Megha distributors, promoters of Bhutan and Sikkim
lotteries, after Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi, who
earlier represented the dealer, withdrew following strong
protests from Congress in the state.
The lottery issue had kicked up a major controversy in
Kerala as Congress accused the LDF government of helping
promoters of other state lotteries who were allegedly
siphoning of huge amounts and evading tax.
The state government has said that it is up to the
Union government to curtail other state lotteries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks