TN Assembly adopts resolution against revival of Upper House
Chennai: The Jayalalithaa government in Tamil
Nadu on Tuesday reversed yet another decision of the previous DMK
government, with the Assembly adopting a unanimous resolution
against revival of the Legislative Council.
Moving the resolution, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa
alleged that DMK had sought to revive the Upper House only
with the intention of "giving posts to family members and
other supporters" of DMK chief Karunanidhi.
The resolution was adopted with 200 of the 234 members
voting in its favour after the Congress and DMK members had
staged a walkout on the issue of introducing uniform education
system in the state.
Jayalalithaa said while Karunanidhi had made his son M K
Stalin Deputy Chief Minister and his other son M K Alagiri and
grand-nephew Dayanidhi Maran central ministers besides making
daughter Kanimozhi a Rajya Sabha MP, he wanted the Council so
as to accommodate other family members and party supporters.
Last year, the Assembly had adopted the then DMK
government resolution for reviving the Legislative Council.
The PMK, which is part of the DMK-led front, opposed the
AIADMK government`s move. Opposition leader Vijayakanth (DMDK)
was not present during the voting.
Speaker D Jayakumar said with two-thirds of the members
supporting the resolution, it has been passed.
The AIADMK`s stated policy is against the Council, which
Jayalalithaa reiterated today and recalled that it was her
mentor and AIADMK founder late M G Ramachandran who had first
abolished the Upper House as Chief Minister in 1986.
Since taking over the reins of administration, the
Jayalalithaa government has reversed several of the DMK
regime`s pet projects, including scrapping housing and
insurance schemes named after Karunanidhi besides announcing a
probe into alleged irregularities in the construction of new
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it