TN BJP medical wing functionary murdered
Vellore (TN): BJP`s Tamil Nadu unit medical cell secretary Aravinth Reddy has been hacked to death by unidentified assailants here, police said on Wednesday.
40-year old Reddy was getting into his car after visiting a lab run by him here last night when the assailants attacked him with sharp weapons killing him on the spot, they said.
Reddy was also into social service and had been offering free treatment to poor people in hospitals run by him in the city.
Police said they were investigating the motive behind the murder, which sent shock waves among the medical fraternity and his supporters.
The state chapter of Indian Medical Association expressed shock over the killing of Reddy and said incidents of attacks on medical professionals in the state had been on the rise.
IMA state Secretary Dr J A Jayalal in a statement in Chennai urged chief minister Jayalalithaa to take recourse to all steps to eradicate the "growing culture of violence".
He said hospitals in Vellore District would remain closed today protesting the murder. IMA members would stage a fast in Chennai if necessary action to ensure protection of doctors and hospitals was not taken within a week, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP