TN budget 2012: ‘will protect rights on cauvery’
Chennai: Locked in a fresh row with Karnataka over the decades-long Cauvery river water dispute, Tamil Nadu government on Monday said it was making all efforts to "protect our rights" on the issue.
Tamil Nadu had recently moved the Supreme Court against
utilisation of Cauvery water for summer irrigation in the
neighbouring state, with Karnataka taking exception to Tamil
Nadu`s stand and asserting that it would not allow any
injustice to its own farmers.
"In the Cauvery river water dispute, this government is
taking all efforts to protect our rights," Finance Minister O
Panneerselvam said presenting the budget for 2012-13 in the
While the budget did not make any reference to the latest
row, Tamil Nadu`s assurance comes in the backdrop of it moving
the apex court against utilisation of Cauvery water by
Karnataka for summer irrigation.
Karnataka had also moved the Supreme Court against a
Tribunal`s final award granting 419 tmcft of water to Tamil
Nadu and 270 tmcft to the former under the water-sharing
On the vexed Mullaperiyar dam stand-off with Kerala,
Panneerselvam said the government "is committed" to raising
the water level to 142 ft, as ordered by the Supreme Court in
"As per the direction of the Chief Minister (J Jayalalithaa)
the government has presented its case strongly before the
Empowered Committee appointed by the Supreme Court and this
committee is expected to submit its report shortly," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'