TN budget an exercise to mislead people: Karuna
Chennai: Slamming the ruling AIADMK for imposing fresh taxes in its budget, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Tuesday described it as mere "word play", saying it
was an exercise which "misled" people and concealed facts.
In a letter to party workers, he also questioned the
status of various programmes announced in the previous budget
by Finance Minister O Panneerselvam, including a housing
scheme which replaced the one launched by his previous
"The DMK government never imposed fresh taxes in its five
year-tenure even as it maintained a good fiscal position,
including the state`s own tax resources," he said.
The budget lacked measures regarding controlling prices,
creation of employment, power generation or increasing
people`s purchasing power, claimed the former Chief Minister.
"It`s a budget that conceals many facts, misleads and
imposes new taxes (to the tune of Rs 1,500 crore) and has
failed to meet people`s expectations. It is only word-play and
will these be useful to raise the people`s standard of
living..?" he asked.
The ruling AIADMK, which had transferred so many IAS
officers after it assumed power, chose to retain Finance
Secretary Shanmugam, which was proof of DMK`s good showing in
the Finance front, Karunanidhi said.
However, the DMK`s "good show" has been either concealed
or people have been misled on its performance as the Finance
Minister repeatedly accused the previous government of poor
performance with regard to finances, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners
- Political novice Gudni Johannesson elected Iceland president amid football fever