TN budget an exercise to mislead people: Karuna
Chennai: Slamming the ruling AIADMK for imposing fresh taxes in its budget, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Tuesday described it as mere "word play", saying it
was an exercise which "misled" people and concealed facts.
In a letter to party workers, he also questioned the
status of various programmes announced in the previous budget
by Finance Minister O Panneerselvam, including a housing
scheme which replaced the one launched by his previous
"The DMK government never imposed fresh taxes in its five
year-tenure even as it maintained a good fiscal position,
including the state`s own tax resources," he said.
The budget lacked measures regarding controlling prices,
creation of employment, power generation or increasing
people`s purchasing power, claimed the former Chief Minister.
"It`s a budget that conceals many facts, misleads and
imposes new taxes (to the tune of Rs 1,500 crore) and has
failed to meet people`s expectations. It is only word-play and
will these be useful to raise the people`s standard of
living..?" he asked.
The ruling AIADMK, which had transferred so many IAS
officers after it assumed power, chose to retain Finance
Secretary Shanmugam, which was proof of DMK`s good showing in
the Finance front, Karunanidhi said.
However, the DMK`s "good show" has been either concealed
or people have been misled on its performance as the Finance
Minister repeatedly accused the previous government of poor
performance with regard to finances, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon