TN: Bus services hit after Dalit leader`s murder
Madurai: Bus services to several southern
districts including Dindigul, Tuticorin and Tirunelveli were affected after news about the murder of a Dalit leader in Dindigul spread across the areas, police said.
Many buses and private vehicles were damaged in stone pelting by unidentified miscreants at some places, after Pasupathi Pandian, founder of Devendra Kula Velalar Kootamaippu (Federation), was yesterday hacked to death by unidentified persons in front of his residence at
Nandavanapatti area in Dindigul district, police said.
Police said the situation was being closely monitored and bus services resumed in many districts, including Madurai, Theni and Tuticorin, though they were behind schedule by two hours.
Meanwhile, heavy police bandobust was arranged at Dindigul
Government Hospital where the body of Pandian (50) was kept
after postmortem was performed today morning. The body was
later taken to Talamuthunagar in Tuticorin district for the
Officials said some parts of Virudhunagar, Tirunelveli
and Tuticorin districts were tense, but added the situation
was fully under control.
Special teams had been formed to nab the gang who hacked
the Dalit leader, the officials said, adding bus services to
sensitive areas had been cancelled.
There had been power cut when Pandian was hacked to death
and the gang had escaped using the darkness as cover, they
Meanwhile in Dindigul, educational institutions were closed
in the aftermath of the murder. Shops in many areas of the
district also remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened