TN challenges order allowing firm to continue quarrying
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Government Monday challenged a single Judge`s order in the Madras High Court bench here directing it to permit PRP granites and PRP exports, facing criminal proceedings in a multi-crore granite quarry scam, to continue quarrying operations.
A Division Bench of Justice KN Basha and Justice Devadoss posted the government`s plea for hearing tomorrow.
The Government submitted that the single judge had granted relief concerning the export-Import License as well as defreezing of bank accounts, without appreciating the fact that the main prayer of the petitioner (PRP exports) was for removal of seal on its office as well return of property including vehicles seized.
It alleged that the Judge had erred in exercise of his jurisdiction, by granting other reliefs like de-sealing the building, in the face of various serious illegalities committed by PRP exports and PRP Granites resulting in statutory violations, which were also observed by the same court in its impugned order.
Overlooking the fact that the preliminary investigation was still on, the Judge had observed that the investigations conducted by Police were faulty, it said.
The building was locked only to prevent the accused from tampering with documents and influencing witness. The cases had been registered under criminal law, and hence the Judge should not have entertained the PRP granites` plea.
The Judge ought not to have directed to release the bank accounts without there being a prayer for it in the same writ petition. The petitioner had not challenged the action of the authorities freezing the accounts.
Similarly, the petitioner had not sought any relief regarding the Investigating officer restraining the export and import business of the PRP exports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow