TN challenges order allowing firm to continue quarrying
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Government Monday challenged a single Judge`s order in the Madras High Court bench here directing it to permit PRP granites and PRP exports, facing criminal proceedings in a multi-crore granite quarry scam, to continue quarrying operations.
A Division Bench of Justice KN Basha and Justice Devadoss posted the government`s plea for hearing tomorrow.
The Government submitted that the single judge had granted relief concerning the export-Import License as well as defreezing of bank accounts, without appreciating the fact that the main prayer of the petitioner (PRP exports) was for removal of seal on its office as well return of property including vehicles seized.
It alleged that the Judge had erred in exercise of his jurisdiction, by granting other reliefs like de-sealing the building, in the face of various serious illegalities committed by PRP exports and PRP Granites resulting in statutory violations, which were also observed by the same court in its impugned order.
Overlooking the fact that the preliminary investigation was still on, the Judge had observed that the investigations conducted by Police were faulty, it said.
The building was locked only to prevent the accused from tampering with documents and influencing witness. The cases had been registered under criminal law, and hence the Judge should not have entertained the PRP granites` plea.
The Judge ought not to have directed to release the bank accounts without there being a prayer for it in the same writ petition. The petitioner had not challenged the action of the authorities freezing the accounts.
Similarly, the petitioner had not sought any relief regarding the Investigating officer restraining the export and import business of the PRP exports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report