TN Cong MP demands release of Indian fishermen
New Delhi: A Congress MP from Tamil Nadu on Wednesday demanded that India should intervene and take steps for the release of 10 fishermen who have been taken into custody by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line.
Manicka Tagore, MP from Virudhunagar constituency in south Tamil Nadu, wrote a letter to National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon seeking his intervention to end the "miseries" of the "hapless" fishermen.
Ten fishermen and their boats were taken into custody by Sri Lankan Navy on Monday after they crossed the boundary line.
"It is reported that all the 10 persons have been handed over to the police in Thalaimannar and after a judicial enquiry, Justice Anthonypillai Sudsan has ordered to produce these 10 persons at the court on July 11 and remanded them to police custody upon which they have been imprisoned at Anurathapuram Prison," he said in the letter.
Tagore asked Menon to intervene by raising the issue at the appropriate level to "end the miseries of the hapless fishermen and to arrange for their release."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir