TN Cong unit slams Lankan President
Chennai: The Congress` state unit in Tamil
Nadu on Wednesday described as a "big lie" Sri Lankan President
Mahinda Rajapaksa`s denial that India had pressured Colombo to
offer a political solution to the ethnic community in the
TNCC president K V Thangkabalu also demanded the Centre
should take action to know if the aid provided by it for
Tamils` welfare had reached the intended beneficiaries.
"It has been widely reported that top Indian leaders
including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, External Affairs
Minister SM Krishna and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee
(as then External Affairs Minister) have personally taken up
the issue of permanent solution for Tamils with Rajapaksa.
"While he had assured then that proper action will be
taken, why is he suddenly singing a different tune? What is
the pressure (for him to do so)," he said in a statement here.
Thangkabalu , whose party had faced flak from pro-Tamil
groups for failing to prevent civilian casualties in the last
phase of the battle between Lankan army and LTTE, said India
had provided Rs 8000 crore in aid for Tamils` welfare and it
should now probe whether this was spent for them.
"Rajapaksa has provided false information that India did
not pressure Sri Lanka on ensuring rehabilitation of Tamils.
This is big lie. India should continue pressing Colombo on
ensuring Tamils` rights and should work out alternate methods
for this purpose if the present steps don`t yield results," he
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse had on Tuesday
denied that he had come under pressure from India to offer the
minority Tamils a political solution, saying that any
settlement to the matter will have to be approved by the
"There was no pressure from India on the thirteenth
amendment of thirteen plus," Rajapaksa had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins