TN Congress chief in Delhi, deliberates poll debacle
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president B S Gnanadesikan on Friday called on the party General Secretary Mukul Wasnik in Delhi and discussed the poll debacle, party affairs and the way forward with him.
"I discussed (Tamil Nadu) party affairs with Wasnik who is also incharge of the state. After elections, I did not meet him. Hence, I discussed everything relevant about the party in the state with him," Gnanadesikan told.
Gnanadesikan`s visit to Delhi comes after bitter press statements in Tamil Nadu between groups for and against his resignation as president of the state Congress unit against the backdrop of the party`s rout in just concluded Lok Sabha polls.
After supporters of P Chidambaram demanded his resignation, several senior party functionaries united against the former Union Minister and alleged he "failed to rein in price rise" which was a key reason for the party`s debacle at national level. G K Vasan later appealed that intra-party issues must not be taken to the media.
Soon, a brainstorming session chaired by Gnanadesikan was held on June 7 to take stock of the poll debacle. However, followers of Chidambaram who had demanded his resignation skipped the meeting.
Asked if an organisational shake up of the state party committee was on the cards, the TNCC chief replied in the negative adding "nothing of its sort had been mooted as of now."
He would call on party president Sonia Gandhi if she was available, he said.
Sources in the party said former Union Ministers Vasan and Chidambaram who are also in Delhi are likely to meet Sonia after her proposed visit to Rae Bareli tomorrow.
The leaders are expected to take up the issue of "restructuring and strengthening" the party in Tamil Nadu well ahead of the state Assembly elections in 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert