TN cop death: Min defends inaction, CM announces solatium
Chennai: Coming under fire for allegedly
not acting in time to save a bleeding Sub-Inspector attacked
by a gang, Tamil Nadu minister M R K Pannerselvam on Friday
refuted as "totally wrong" the charge that he and another
minister were insensitive towards the plight of the policeman
Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi ordered relief of Rs five lakh solatium from the government and Rs two lakh from the Chief Minister`s Public Relief Fund to the family of sub-inspector Vetrivel.
In a case of shocking indifference, sub-inspector
Vetrivel who was brutally attacked by a gang in Tirunelveli
District, bled to death as his cry for help went in vain even
after Paneerselvam and youth and sports development minister TPM Mohideen Khan with their convoy stopped by and saw his
Refuting AIADMK MLA Sekarbabu`s charge in the assembly
that the two ministers did not take any steps to hospitalise
Vetrivel, who was battling for life on the road, Pannerselvam
said the allegation was totally wrong.
He said on seeing the policeman`s plight, he and Khan
immediately called for an ambulance, which had to come from
Tenkasi. "As there could be delay, we arranged for a police
vehicle to move him to hospital," he said.
Forty-four-year-old Vetrivel, a member of the Special
Task Force that gunned down forest brigand Veerappan in 2004,
lay in a pool of blood with his leg severed and begged for
help after the attack by the gang at Alwarkuruchi shortly
before the ministerial convoy was to pass by.
The two ministers came under fire after TV footage
showed the profusely-bleeding sub-inspector crying for help in
their presence and with eyewitnesses alleging that he did not
get assistance in time from them and accompanying officials.
The Sub-Inspector was badly injured after the
assailants hurled country bombs at him and attacked him with
sickles in a case of mistaken identity.
CM announces solatium
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Saturday ordered relief of Rs five lakh solatium from the government and Rs two lakh from the Chief Minister`s Public Relief Fund to the family of sub-inspector Vetrivel, who was killed in an attack by a gang two days back in
An official release said Karunanidhi condoled the death of Vetrivel and ordered government employment to a elilgible member of the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL