TN: Court adjourns proceedings against Sasikala
Bangalore: A special court trying the disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Wednesday adjourned to January 18, the proceedings against her former close aide and co-accused Sasikala Natarajan concerning the translation process.
Special Judge B M Mallikarjunaiah adjourned the matter after counsel for Sasikala submitted a copy of the Karnataka High Court order granting six weeks stay on the proceedings.
On December 19, Justice B V Pinto granted six weeks stay on the proceedings on a petition by Sasikala, seeking translated versions of questions framed by the court in Tamil.
Sasikala, who has since been expelled from AIADMK by
Jayalalithaa, had moved the high court after the Special Judge
on December 14 rejected her plea seeking a direction to the
interpreter to keep the translated version of the questions
framed by the court ready in Tamil and then record the answers
in Tamil which could then be translated into English.
While granting one week time to Sasikala to move the high court, the Judge had adjourned proceedings on recording her statement under section 313 of CrPC (power to examine the accused) to today.
The special court was to question Sasikala after the
four-day deposition of Jayalalithaa last month during which
she answered 1,339 questions framed by the judge.
The case relates to accumulation of wealth allegedly
disproportionate to Jayalalithaa`s known sources of income
when she was chief minister in 1991-96. It was shifted to
Bangalore by the Supreme Court on a petition by DMK General
Secretary K Anbazhagan.
Sasikala, a trusted aide of Jayalalithaa and often
considered a power centre in the AIADMK, was expelled along
with her husband M Natarajan and 12 others from AIADMK`s
primary membership on December 19, reportedly due to their
`over reach` in administrative and political matters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- SHAME! Son of Jadavpur University's professor touched girl students without consent, objectified them filthily?
- 30 Dalit groups in Gujarat form united front to fight atrocities
- Praveen Rana named as Narsingh Yadav's replacement for Rio Olympics by WFI
- Jallikattu: Customs, traditions have to pass legal and constitutional test as well, says SC
- Milky Way's hot gaseous Halo spins like a disk!