TN: Court adjourns proceedings against Sasikala
Bangalore: A special court trying the disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa Wednesday adjourned to January 18, the proceedings against her former close aide and co-accused Sasikala Natarajan concerning the translation process.
Special Judge B M Mallikarjunaiah adjourned the matter after counsel for Sasikala submitted a copy of the Karnataka High Court order granting six weeks stay on the proceedings.
On December 19, Justice B V Pinto granted six weeks stay on the proceedings on a petition by Sasikala, seeking translated versions of questions framed by the court in Tamil.
Sasikala, who has since been expelled from AIADMK by
Jayalalithaa, had moved the high court after the Special Judge
on December 14 rejected her plea seeking a direction to the
interpreter to keep the translated version of the questions
framed by the court ready in Tamil and then record the answers
in Tamil which could then be translated into English.
While granting one week time to Sasikala to move the high court, the Judge had adjourned proceedings on recording her statement under section 313 of CrPC (power to examine the accused) to today.
The special court was to question Sasikala after the
four-day deposition of Jayalalithaa last month during which
she answered 1,339 questions framed by the judge.
The case relates to accumulation of wealth allegedly
disproportionate to Jayalalithaa`s known sources of income
when she was chief minister in 1991-96. It was shifted to
Bangalore by the Supreme Court on a petition by DMK General
Secretary K Anbazhagan.
Sasikala, a trusted aide of Jayalalithaa and often
considered a power centre in the AIADMK, was expelled along
with her husband M Natarajan and 12 others from AIADMK`s
primary membership on December 19, reportedly due to their
`over reach` in administrative and political matters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened