TN: CPI-M workers held for trying to stage protest
Chennai: Around 100 CPI (M) workers led by party`s state unit secretary G Ramakrishnan were picked up by police when they tried to stage a demonstration outside the US Consulate here protesting the recent killing of an Indian fisherman in Dubai seas.
Ramakrishnan, Rajya Sabha MP T K Rangarajan and senior state leaders and MLAs A Sounderrajan and G Beemarao were among those held, police said.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three others wounded on July 16 when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai, drawing flak from political leaders in the state including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference