TN: CPI-M workers held for trying to stage protest
Chennai: Around 100 CPI (M) workers led by party`s state unit secretary G Ramakrishnan were picked up by police when they tried to stage a demonstration outside the US Consulate here protesting the recent killing of an Indian fisherman in Dubai seas.
Ramakrishnan, Rajya Sabha MP T K Rangarajan and senior state leaders and MLAs A Sounderrajan and G Beemarao were among those held, police said.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three others wounded on July 16 when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai, drawing flak from political leaders in the state including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad
- Doctors say bill is 'black day' for surrogacy, will spawn corruption