TN: CPI-M workers held for trying to stage protest
Chennai: Around 100 CPI (M) workers led by party`s state unit secretary G Ramakrishnan were picked up by police when they tried to stage a demonstration outside the US Consulate here protesting the recent killing of an Indian fisherman in Dubai seas.
Ramakrishnan, Rajya Sabha MP T K Rangarajan and senior state leaders and MLAs A Sounderrajan and G Beemarao were among those held, police said.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three others wounded on July 16 when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai, drawing flak from political leaders in the state including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump