TN: CPI-M workers held for trying to stage protest
Chennai: Around 100 CPI (M) workers led by party`s state unit secretary G Ramakrishnan were picked up by police when they tried to stage a demonstration outside the US Consulate here protesting the recent killing of an Indian fisherman in Dubai seas.
Ramakrishnan, Rajya Sabha MP T K Rangarajan and senior state leaders and MLAs A Sounderrajan and G Beemarao were among those held, police said.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three others wounded on July 16 when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai, drawing flak from political leaders in the state including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi