TN: CPI-M workers held for trying to stage protest
Chennai: Around 100 CPI (M) workers led by party`s state unit secretary G Ramakrishnan were picked up by police when they tried to stage a demonstration outside the US Consulate here protesting the recent killing of an Indian fisherman in Dubai seas.
Ramakrishnan, Rajya Sabha MP T K Rangarajan and senior state leaders and MLAs A Sounderrajan and G Beemarao were among those held, police said.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three others wounded on July 16 when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai, drawing flak from political leaders in the state including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'