TN demand for Cauvery water prompted by political motive: Cong
Bangalore: Congress Leader of Opposition in Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Siddaramaiah, on Sunday alleged that Tamil Nadu`s demand to release Cauvery water is prompted by "political motive" and claimed that it did not require water as 42 tmc water was stored in Mettur Dam of that state.
Tamil Nadu`s demand for release of Cauvery water was unwarranted as Karnataka was reeling under severe drought, he told reporters at Mysore, some 134 km from here.
Siddaramaiah said he had suggested to Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar during the recent all-party meeting to explore legal possibilities and present Karnataka`s case strongly before the Supreme Court.
On next Assembly elections scheduled next year, Siddaramaiah said the Congress party would announce its candidates` list two months prior to the elections.
"This will be done so that the candidates get ample to hit campaign trail," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India