TN demand for Cauvery water prompted by political motive: Cong
Bangalore: Congress Leader of Opposition in Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Siddaramaiah, on Sunday alleged that Tamil Nadu`s demand to release Cauvery water is prompted by "political motive" and claimed that it did not require water as 42 tmc water was stored in Mettur Dam of that state.
Tamil Nadu`s demand for release of Cauvery water was unwarranted as Karnataka was reeling under severe drought, he told reporters at Mysore, some 134 km from here.
Siddaramaiah said he had suggested to Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar during the recent all-party meeting to explore legal possibilities and present Karnataka`s case strongly before the Supreme Court.
On next Assembly elections scheduled next year, Siddaramaiah said the Congress party would announce its candidates` list two months prior to the elections.
"This will be done so that the candidates get ample to hit campaign trail," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love