TN demand for Cauvery water prompted by political motive: Cong
Bangalore: Congress Leader of Opposition in Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Siddaramaiah, on Sunday alleged that Tamil Nadu`s demand to release Cauvery water is prompted by "political motive" and claimed that it did not require water as 42 tmc water was stored in Mettur Dam of that state.
Tamil Nadu`s demand for release of Cauvery water was unwarranted as Karnataka was reeling under severe drought, he told reporters at Mysore, some 134 km from here.
Siddaramaiah said he had suggested to Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar during the recent all-party meeting to explore legal possibilities and present Karnataka`s case strongly before the Supreme Court.
On next Assembly elections scheduled next year, Siddaramaiah said the Congress party would announce its candidates` list two months prior to the elections.
"This will be done so that the candidates get ample to hit campaign trail," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!